Equipment: Ovenproof dish with a lid
1 tbsp (15ml) Oil
4 Chicken drumsticks
12-14oz (350-400g) Smoked bacon
4 Carrots, sliced
1 Large onion, chopped
2 tbsp (30ml) Plain flour
1 tbsp (15ml) Tomato purée
5 tbsp (75ml) White wine vinegar
1¾ pint (1 litre) Chicken stock
2 Bay leaves
4 tbsp (60ml) Cream cheese
4 New potatoes, sliced
2oz (55g) Frozen peas
Fresh parsley and chives (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
2. On the hob heat the oil in the ovenproof dish and brown the chicken pieces all over. Take out of the dish and put to one side.
3. Cook the bacon for a few minutes in the dish and then add the carrots and onion.
4. Fry until the onion starts to soften.
5. Add the flour and tomato purée and stir in. The add the vinegar.
6. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil.
7. Reduce to a simmer and then add the bay leaves, cream cheese and black pepper.
8. Put the chicken back into the dish along with the potatoes. Stir in so everything is covered by the sauce.
9. Put the lid on the dish and then transfer to the oven.
10. Cook for 30 minutes then give it a stir before cooking for another 20 minutes.
11. Turn off the oven, stir in the peas and put back in the oven for another 3 minutes.
12. Garnish if required with the parsley and chives before serving.