|Sausage & Apple Filo Roll|
After I started writing out the ingredients to this recipe I realised this could have a number of names. I immediately christened it Sausage & Apple Filo Roll because I wanted to highlight the apple in it but I could have easily called it Sausage, Sage & Onion Filo Roll. Essentially it is a jumbo sausage roll that is easy to make, quick to cook and ensures clean plates from all the family.
The main elements I found in the reduced section of the supermarket and was able to freeze them. The filo sheets were 39p and the sausagemeat was £1.14.
The dried apple should been £2.49 but for some reason Sainsbury's had reduced all the 250g packets to just 25p. I'm not sure if this was due to them changing the packaging or discontinuing them all together. I hope it's the former as they've become quite a find. Although they are described as 'dried' they're not the dehydrated hard slices you find in cereal mixes. Instead they are more like jelly sweets. This makes them perfect for baking with as they still hold their shape rather than going to complete mush that fresh apple has a tendency to do.
The thrifty nature of this new family favourite meal means I will be submitting it for Fuss Free Flavours and Fab Food 4 All's Credit Crunch Munch which is being hosted this month by Janice at Famersgirl Kitchen.
Equipment: 1 baking sheet, greased or with non-stick liner.
500g Sausagemeat (1 'roll')
2oz (50g) Dried Apple
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp (5ml) Sage
1 Pack Filo pastry (5 sheets)
½ oz (10-15g) Butter, melted
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/ Gas mark 5.
2. In a large bowl mix together the sausagemeat, apple, onion and sage until well combined.
3. Lay out 2 of the filo sheets on the baking tray.
4. Spread the sausagemeat mixture across the filo sheets but leave enough space around the edges to fold over.
5. Place the other 3 filo sheets on top and fold round.
6. Brush the top with the melted butter.
7. Cook for 20 minutes.
8. Serve with potatoes and vegetables of your choice.