I could big up this dish a little more. Perhaps 'Sausage & Pepper Pasta' isn't fancy enough and I should stick 'supper' at the end of the title or call it a 'stew'; only it doesn't cook for that long. It has a slight kick to it but nothing that will blow your head off or have the kids spitting it out. It does though have the things that kids love, namely sausages, tomato sauce and pasta. I've listed two separate ingredients for this recipe – one meat and one vegetarian. My only gripe with the vegetarian version is that this recipe is for 4 people so I allow 2 sausages each and the vegetarian sausages I use come in packs of 6 rather than 8 (please rectify this just me Quorn and Cauldron).
Although the recipe includes peppers as well if you haven't got any or don't like them this still makes a very tasty tomato sauce to have with sausages and onions.
Meat Ingredients Vegetarian Ingredients
8 Pork sausages 8 Vegetarian sausages
1 tbsp (15ml) Oil 1 tbsp (15ml) Oil
1 Large onion, sliced 1 Large onion, sliced
1 Red pepper, sliced 1 Red pepper, sliced
1 Yellow pepper, sliced 1 Yellow pepper, sliced
2 Cloves garlic, crushed 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp (5ml) Paprika 1 tsp (5ml) Paprika
Tin of chopped tomatoes Tin of chopped tomatoes
½ pint (284ml) Chicken stock ½ pint (284ml) Vegetable stock
1 tsp (5ml) dried oregano 1 tsp (5ml) dried oregano
1 tsp (5ml) Demerara sugar 1 tsp (5ml) Demerara sugar
½ tsp (2.5ml) Worcestershire Sauce ½ tsp (2.5ml) Vegetarian
Worcestershire Sauce or Henderson's Relish
Salt and Pepper to taste Salt and Pepper to taste
10oz (300g) Dried pasta 10oz (300g) Dried pasta
Parmesan, grated to sprinkle on top Vegetarian Italian hard cheese,
grated to sprinkle on top
1. In a large saucepan heat the oil and cook the sausages until evenly browned.
2. Remove the sausages from the pan and drain on a piece of kitchen paper.
3. Using the same oil fry the onions until just softened.
4. Put the peppers in the pan and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients except for the sausages and mix well.
6. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. While the mixture is cooking slice the sausages and then add to the pan and cook for another 10 minutes.
8. Cook the pasta while the sausage sauce is simmering.
9. Serve the pasta and sausages together with the grated cheese on top.